Thursday, May 2, 2013

One Beating and a Fresh Layer of Skin? That’ll Be 145 Lira.


We arrived at the Orient Hostel in Istanbul at 2:30am after a very long travel day.  Flying from Beijing to London, then London to Istanbul, and being up for about 28 straight hours was exhausting and we immediately crashed happy to get some sleep.  But this sleep did not last long.  Roughly 2 hours after our heads hit the pillow a thundering “ALLLLAAAHHHH AKBAAAARRRRRR” boomed from the Hagia Sophia, which was located two blocks away from us.  This was our first time experiencing the Muslim call to prayer, which occurs 5 times a day.  The call lasts for about 5-10 minutes, and when it was finished we were finally able to go back to sleep.  That is until the next call that occurred around 8am…  The video below shows just how close our hostel was to the Hagia Sophia during an evening call to prayer:



Seeing that the Hagia Sophia was responsible for us being awake at 8:30am, we decided we might as well see what it was all about.  After grabbing breakfast on our hostel roof, we made our way to Istanbul’s most famous attraction.  The line was already at least 300 people long and waiting in the hot sun for 2 hours wasn’t high up on our list.  A few seconds after standing on line, a man approached us and asked if the “Aussies” (we were labeled as Australians at least 5 times while in Istanbul) wanted a tour which would involved getting to cut the line.  We were pretty skeptical about his proposition; ever since our debacle with Rudy in the Philippines we had been hesitant to engage these street tour guides.  But this guy seemed like a real straight shooter, and getting to cut the line already made the extra 25 lira worth it (as long as he wouldn’t just run off with our money). 
He turned out to be a great tour guide and gave us a nice concise tour of the Hagia Sofia.  We learned how the 1,500 year building was originally a church ,then taken over by Muslims and turned into a mosque, then finally made into a museum by the state in order to make everyone happy (or as our guide said, it made no one happy).

After the tour, we hurried across the beautiful park that separates the Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque in the hopes that we could gain entry before it closed during the next call to prayer.  We were lucky to get in just in time, and were given two cloth wraps to cover up our bare legs upon entry.  The Mosque was carpeted from wall to wall in order to be equipped for the masses of Muslims that would be filing in to pray.  It was a very cool feeling being inside the Mosque, but we found the outside of the building to be much more impressive than the inside. 
We got a great view of this from the 7 Hills Restaurant, where we stopped after for lunch.  The roof gives some of the best views of the Blue Mosque, the Hagia Sophia, and the Bosphorus (the waterway that separates the European portion of the city from the Asian portion).  We could not figure out why there were not more people enjoying this wonderful restaurant. 


Immediately put into a food coma by the exorbitant amounts of hummus we consumed a nap was the next course of action before we wrapped up the day with a sunset boat tour along the Bosphorus.

Our automatic alarm clock woke us up early again the next day, so we again took advantage of it by heading to the Topaki Palace.  Here we saw a great view of the Bosphorus, as well as many ancient artifacts and relics that had managed to remain in tact.  The following lunch we stuffed our faces with kebabs. 
Istanbul is famous for their kebabs and we made sure to try many of the different kinds while we were there: donor, durum, cag, shish, the list goes on.  Any possible way you could imagine preparing a slab of meat, Turkey has thought of it.  The kebab place that we stopped at was few blocks from Istanbul's Grand Bazaar.
  The Grand Bazaar has over 4,000 shops/stalls and is a bargainers heaven.  It is almost a city within itself and we nearly got lost a few times while inside.  Alex was able to buy a "real" Hugo Boss wallet at a great price and we both bargained for a few authentic souvenirs. 
Following more kebabs for dinner, we spent the night sampling the nightlife around our hostel.  Being situated on a lively street lined with outdoor tables, we had a very enjoyable time.


Our final day in Istanbul we decided to cleanse our bodies and get a traditional Turkish hammam (bath).  The Cagaloglu Hamami was our destination of choice.  It has been open for business since 1741 and served historical figures such as Kaiser Wilhelm, Florence Nightengale, and Cameron Diaz.  The following is my graphic and scarring account of what goes on behind the closed doors of a Turkish hammam:

Alex and I were lead into a small dressing room, instructed to change into nothing but a small towel, and then to go to the back room.  After changing, we slowly made our way towards the main bathroom in our wooden hammam shoes.  A blast of heat hit us as we entered the incredibly beautiful octagonal room, which was made completely out of white marble.  There was a huge slab of marble in the center surrounded by sinks along edges of the room.  A much smaller and hotter room was located in the back right, where four other men dressed in similar garb were seated.  We took our seat here to loosen up, and wait to be called.  After 30 seconds in this marble oven I could feel the beer and kebab grease pouring out of my body, and quite soon I was drenched in sweat.  A few minutes later Alex had had enough of the heat and went to find the bathroom.  Shortly after his exit a large Turkish man, dressed in a towel that was somehow skimpier than mine, pointed through the corridor at me.  I had been chosen.

He directed me over to the large marble slab in the middle of the main room and instructed me to lie face down.  I was a little shocked when he removed my towel from my waist and fashioned it in a peculiar manner (I was now essentially wearing a Turkish towel g-string) but I thought it was all part of the experience.  It was not.  I soon looked around at my companions from the sweat chamber, and they were all wearing their towels normally.  But it was too late now as two hands slammed down on my butt cheeks; my beating had already begun. 

The phrase “manhandling” must have originated from someone who received a Turkish hammam, because it perfectly describes what was happening to me.  A large man was literally beating the shit out of me on top of a very hard and unforgiving slab of marble.  After he worked my back, he flipped me over to be facing upwards (which really made the g-string towel thing awkward), and started working my shoulder.  I have lost some mobility in my shoulder from an injury during my illustrious football career and I could tell that it was bothering my masseur/torturer that it could not move the way he wanted it to.  This is when I made perhaps the biggest mistake of my life.  I opened my eyes.  His face was 2 inches away from mine and he was looking me directly in the eyes.  It was as if he had been waiting the entire time, praying our gazes would meet.  His teeth grinned through his thick, jet-black moustache and he gave me the creepiest smile I have ever seen before proceeding to grunt “ahhhhh, yessss, YESSS!!!” and put his full body weight into my shoulder.  The shoulder moved the way he wanted it to.

Finally he slapped me on the back and we proceeded to one of the baths on the edge of the room.  Panting, and feeling as though I had just went twelve rounds with Mike Tyson, I limped over to the sink and was just happy to be able to sit down.  This brief moment of tranquility did not last long.  He soon began dumping bucket after bucket of water on my head.  This proceeded until he must have determined I didn’t have the information he desired because the water boarding torture stopped.  Through my delirious state, I could see him brining out his next weapon, the scrub.  He began violently scraping my entire body with it and telling me to,  “Look at the skin, the SKIN!!!” as layers of flesh were peeling off of me.  Once my body was covered in dead skin shavings, he flipped me over onto the floor by the sink and began to lather me up.  But before he fully cleaned me off, I felt an enormous weight on my lower back.  It was so immense I was unsure what it was, until it started moving to my upper back.  That’s when I realized; this guy is walking on me.  I could barely breathe because his weight was compressing my lungs, but then strangely I began to laugh.  I imagined what a sight it must have been to see this large, moustached, Turkish man in a skimpy towel stomping my basically naked body into the marble floor of the most beautiful bathhouse I have ever seen.


He eventually washed me down and dried me off, and Alex and I were free to go.  The feeling of leaving the hot main room was incredible; it was as if I was a new person.  My skin had never been so soft and any knot tightness that had existed in my body was eradicated.  Despite the pain and suffering involved in the process, the hammam really did its job.  While it may not be for the faint of heart, if you can handle a bit of pain, the Turkish baths are definitely an incredible experience.  It was quite the sendoff and we are hoping that our time in Israel can be just as enjoyable without the pain.








No comments:

Post a Comment